The scope of the position includes the MS & US Science departments, including the IB science subjects. The Science Lab Assistant is expected to support teachers during classes as well as to help facilitate instruction for individual students, small groups as well as whole classes. The position involves supporting students in designing and carrying out independent Science investigations.
The Science Lab Assistant supports the work of Science teachers by ensuring that the students make the best use of the time they spend in the laboratory and use equipment safely. Preparing, cleaning, maintaining and storing of materials and equipment is also a key component of the role.
The Science Lab Assistant will participate in Upper School staff meetings and stay updated on MS matters through the MS Science CLL. The Science Lab Assistant will avail of professional development when appropriate and relevant, and may be asked to perform some general faculty functions such as supervision duties.
- Provide technical support and assistance to both MS & US teachers and students during laboratory investigations
- Support individual students on research projects
- Set up, break down, clean and put away laboratory equipment for investigations to be carried out in the Science classrooms
- Ensure that equipment is functioning properly, well organized, and ready to use
- Maintain chemical and equipment inventory for both MS & US classrooms
Knowledge, skills and attitude required:
- Be enthusiastic for work with 11-18 year old students
- Have strong organizational skills
- Have excellent communication skills in speaking and writing (English and Czech preferred)
- Work with personal safety and the safety of others in mind
- Have the ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment
- Able to work with a database, data logging equipment and other scientific equipment
- Able to maintain, clean and organize work spaces
- Be knowledgeable in appropriate methods of safe storage and disposal of chemicals
- Be reliable and show commitment to high quality and accurate work
- Show creative thinking and decisiveness
- Have practical problem solving skills
- Be self-driven and have a proactive attitude
- Able to multitask in a fast-paced work environment
- Able to display a personal vision in alignment with the ISP mission
Education and training required:
- BA (MA preferred) in Science
- Teaching certification
- Previous hands-on experience with teaching Science to MS and/or HS age students
- A background in computer applications
If you are interested in this job and you believe to meet the specified criteria, then please submit your CV together with application letter to: email@example.com.