As announced by Dr. Kimball in December, ISP started the process to become a full International Baccalaureate (IB) continuum school.
This means that in addition to the DP (Diploma Programme) that has been in place for over 25 years, ISP will adopt and implement the PYP (Primary Years Programme) in our elementary school, the MYP (Middle Years Programme) in grades 6-10.
In addition to the DP (Diploma Programme) that has been in place for over 25 years, ISP will adopt and implement the PYP (Primary Years Programme) in our elementary school, the MYP (Middle Years Programme) in grades 6-10.
While our ISP and IB mission and pedagogical practices are very well aligned, there are a number of training and systems adjustments required for us to become fully authorized (goal is by Dec 2023.)
As we all know, we are all lifelong learners in the 21st century. We continually support our professionals in their learning journey here at ISP.
On Monday 28 February 2022, during our professional learning day, faculty attended PYP (ES teachers) or MYP (MS & US teachers) training led by IB approved and appointed trainers.
Our ISP teachers are considering and connecting the IB framework with what we are already doing here at ISP.
Here are a few end of the day reflections:
- We already do much of what MYP is asking.
- There are many connections between ISP’s mission and the IB’s.
- Convivial workshop atmosphere, thoughtful facilitation and opportunities for critical thinking.
- The inquiry into creating a list of 10 strengths and then sorting them was a powerful activity to link PYP and existing connections to ISP. This will be helpful for the new administration/PYP coordinators as we implement the framework in our context at ISP.
- … did an excellent job of building on our current strengths to help us understand the framework. The activities were engaging and well thought out. Simple and clear language for all learners (teachers and teacher assistants) including her slides.
The next steps for our faculty will be engaging in further training for their specific programmes or disciplines.
Elementary teachers are beginning a month-long PYP online course and MS & US school teachers are involved in training in their specific area of focus (e.g. science, design) or programme requirements (e.g. community or personal projects.)
Please join us on Tuesday, March, 22nd at 9:00 for a parent session on the IB continuum@ISP.