Overall purpose of the position:
Develop Upper School (Grades 9-12) students’ scientific curiosity, laboratory skills and conceptual understanding in alignment with current Science standards, benchmarks and performance indicators. This position involves planning and facilitating effective learning engagements that move all learners forward in an inquiry-based environment. Co-planning and co-teaching with colleagues, in addition to clearly communicating with parents, is a central piece of this role
ISP Definition of Learning: What does it mean to learn at ISP? Learning is a transformative process that builds on what we know and can do, deepens what we understand, and changes who we are.
ISP Learning Principles - learning best happens when:
- Learners’ curiosity drives what and how they learn.
- Learners know what they’re learning and why it is significant.
- Learners know where they are as learners and how to go further.
- Learners persist with relevant and rich challenges.
- Learners consider and connect complex ideas.
- Learners apply their learning in diverse and challenging contexts.
- Learners feel a sense of safety and belonging.
- Plan and facilitate engaging, relevant and authentic science learning engagements;
- Nurture students’ scientific curiosity and competencies in Grade 9 Environmental Science and Biology Systems and Grade 10 Physics
- Develop & plan classes following a backwards design curriculum planning process and in alignment with the Learning@ISP, ISP Science standards, IBDP course goals, departmental philosophy and ISP mission.
- Create and maintain a positive, student-centred environment which maximizes learning opportunities for all learners.
- Facilitate a balanced array of learning experiences which meet the students’ where they’re at and move them forward in developing skills, concepts and understandings.
- Effectively assess & document students’ learning growth aligned to Learning@ISP, and based on Science standards, benchmarks, performance indicators, and unit criteria
- Support the holistic development of students as an advisor and as a supervisor of student clubs and activities.
- Actively participate in and lead professional development opportunities and collaborative meetings.
- Be an active partner in building and sustaining trusting & constructive relationships with other colleagues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, skills & dispositions required:
- A sound understanding of best-practice in Science learning, facilitating inquiry and interdisciplinary connections.
- An avid learner and seeker of how to support and leverage students’ Science strengths & interests.
- Successful planning and teaching Upper School students using learner curiosity as a driver.
- An integrated inquiry-based approach to planning, teaching and learning.
- Self-driven, proactive attitude, always trying to go to the next level professionally and leading from any seat.
- Ability to effectively communicate with students, parents and colleagues in a clear and empathetic manner.
- A high level of intra & interpersonal intelligence, working effectively in a collaborative environment.
- A growth mindset and open-minded approach to professional learning,
- International / multicultural teaching experience.
- Impactful educator with an innovative and solutions focused can-do flexible attitude.
Education & experience required:
- A BA (MA preferred) in Science, with Teaching certification for Secondary Education.
- A minimum of three years experience teaching Science to Upper School aged Students (14-18 years old).
ISP uses an online, automated application management system and we do expect ALL job applications to be submitted through this system accordingly.
If you are interested in this vacancy and you meet the specified criteria, please go to this link and follow the instructions accordingly.
The deadline for applications is 10 December, 2020. Candidates should note, however, that the School has already started the recruitment process and therefore in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, ISP reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline. For this reason, it is essential that interested candidates apply as soon as possible. The successful candidate is expected to join ISP in August 2021.
As part of our comprehensive child welfare policy, ISP performs background checks on all its employees, who must abide by the ISP Child Protection Policy