The overall purpose of the position is to:
Facilitate the learning of Upper Elementary School children (Grades 3-5; ages 8-11 year olds.). This position involves planning and facilitating effective learning engagements that move all learners forward in an inquiry-based environment. Liaising with parents, and collaborating with colleagues is a central piece of this role.
ISP Definition of Learning: What does it mean to learn at ISP? Learning is a transformative process that builds on what we know and can do, deepens what we understand, and changes who we are.
ISP Learning Principles - learning best happens when:
- Learners’ curiosity drives what and how they learn.
- Learners know what they’re learning and why it is significant.
- Learners know where they are as learners and how to go further.
- Learners persist with relevant and rich challenges .
- Learners consider and connect complex ideas.
- Learners apply their learning in diverse and challenging contexts.
- Learners feel a sense of safety and belonging.
ISP Learner Profile: ISP Learners are Thinkers, Team Players, Communicators and Change Agents.
- Create and maintain a positive, student-centred environment which maximizes learning opportunities for all learners;
- Nurture responsible behavior and wellbeing of students.
- Establish and maintain a comprehensive, differentiated, and balanced array of learning experiences, which meet the students’ needs in developing skills, concepts and understandings.
- Effectively assess & document students’ learning growth based on standards, benchmarks, performance indicators, and unit criteria.
- Support the holistic development of students as an advisor and as a supervisor of student clubs and activities.
- Actively participate in and lead professional development opportunities and collaborative meetings.
- Design learning engagements and the classroom environment with a focus on the development of age-appropriate concepts, content, thinking skills, and social-emotional development.
- Teach reading and writing using a developmental approach to listening, speaking, reading and writing
- Teach maths using an inquiry-based approach (experience with inquiry-based/concept-based math program preferred).
- Be an active partner in building and sustaining trusting, constructive relationships with other colleagues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Dispositions required:
- Successful planning and teaching Upper Elementary School children using student curiosity as a driver.
- An integrated inquiry-based approach to planning, teaching and learning.
- Self-driven, always trying to go to the next level, leading from any seat.
- Ability to effectively communicate with students, parents and colleagues in a clear and empathetic manner.
- A high level of intra & interpersonal intelligence and the ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment.
- A growth mindset and open-minded approach to professional learning.
- International / multicultural teaching experience (experience working with EAL students preferred).
- Impactful educator with an innovative and solutions focused can-do attitude, flexible, and a strong ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative environment.
Education & Experience:
- A BA (MA preferred), with qualifications / certification in Elementary Education.
- A minimum of three years of teaching experience (Upper Elementary - Grades 3-5).
ISP uses an online, automated application management system and we do expect ALL job applications to be submitted through this system.
If you are interested in this vacancy and you meet the specified criteria, then please go to this link and follow the application instructions accordingly
The deadline for applications is 19 March, 2021. Candidates should note, however, that the School has already started the recruitment process and therefore in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, ISP reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline. For this reason, it is essential that interested candidates apply as soon as possible. The successful candidate is expected to join ISP in August 2021.
As part of our comprehensive child welfare policy, ISP performs background checks on all its employees, who must abide by the ISP Child Protection Policy.