The overall purpose of the position:
- To provide access to a comprehensive and sequential program of study in instrumental/band music that develops students’ instrumental and ensemble skills, as well as their capacity to compose and improvise musically.
- To unite the school community through music events, celebrations, and performances.
- Create & maintain a positive, student-centered environment that maximizes learning opportunities for all learners in alignment with the ISP standards, departmental philosophy, and ISP mission.
- Develop and plan Instrumental Music Ensemble courses, giving feedback to students on their skill development and on the MYP Approaches to Learning (ATLs).
- Design, organize logistics, and direct instrumental music/band performances.
- Monitor students’ skill growth and conceptual learning development, consistently giving specific and actionable feedback as well as reporting according to the school’s standards-based guidelines.
- Actively collaborate with other PK12 Music Teachers and other colleagues in planning and facilitating student exhibitions.
- Facilitate learning that engages and gives full access to a range of children’s instrumental music strengths and interests.
- Participate in, and enrich the school musical life of our community.
- Lead, help organize and collaborate on co-curricular activities, as well as musical components of major school events.
- Actively participate & lead in professional development opportunities and collaborative meetings.
- Be an active partner in building & sustaining trusting relationships with other colleagues.
- Support the holistic development of students as an advisor and as a supervisor of student clubs and activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience, skills, and dispositions required:
- Demonstrated success in planning and teaching IB MYP and DP Music.
- Strong, unwavering drive to innovate and enhance instrumental music programmes.
- A high level of intra and interpersonal intelligence and the ability to work effectively in collaborative environments.
- Demonstrated commitment to a collaborative process with a diverse range of people.
- An avid learner and seeker of how to support children's instrumental music strengths and interests.
- Knowledge, understanding, and application of a broad range of instrumental music genres and traditions.
- Demonstrated ability to teach and learn instrumental music with an inquiry stance.
- Model of musicianship through own musical skills and performances.
- International / multicultural teaching and learning experience.
- A growth mindset and open-minded approach to professional learning - a life-long learner.
- Flexible, can-do attitude, innovative & solutions-focused.
Education and training preferred:
- BA (MA preferred) degree in Music, or a related field of study.
- Teaching certification for Middle / Upper School.
- Proven track record in teaching IB MYP and/or DP Music to Middle and Upper School age students.
ISP uses an online, automated application management system thus do expect ALL job applications to be submitted through this system. If you are interested in this vacancy and you meet the specified criteria, then please go to this LINK and follow the application instructions accordingly
A complete application includes:
- Cover letter expressing interest in this position at ISP, a short statement of educational philosophy, a writing sample that may be a personal statement, an article for a school publication, a recent speech, or a submitted scholarly article, i.e. whatever that can help inform the search committee of expertise, interests, academic focus and experience.
- An up-to-date resume or CV.
- Contact information for at least three current professional referees (one of which should be, if possible, the direct supervisor of the applicant’s current organization).
The deadline to submit applications is 14 December 2022. Candidates should note, however, that in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, ISP reserves the right to move forward with this appointment. For this reason, it is essential that interested candidates apply as soon as possible.