Overall purpose of the position:
This position involves teaching Spanish language courses leveled (based on the Common European Framework of Reference - CEFR), fostering a love of Spanish language and hispanophone culture while maximizing the development of language skills. This position involves planning and facilitating inspiring, engaging and empowering learning engagements that move all learners forward through relevant and rich topics. Co-planning and co-teaching with colleagues, in addition to clearly communicating with parents, is a central piece of this role.
ISP Definition of Learning: What does it mean to learn at ISP? Learning is a transformative process that builds on what we know and can do, deepens what we understand, and changes who we are.
ISP Learning Principles - learning best happens when:
- Learners’ curiosity drives what and how they learn.
- Learners know what they’re learning and why it is significant.
- Learners know where they are as learners and how to go further.
- Learners persist with relevant and rich challenges.
- Learners consider and connect complex ideas.
- Learners apply their learning in diverse and challenging contexts.
- Learners feel a sense of safety and belonging.
- Develop & plan classes following the backward design curriculum planning process and in alignment with the ISP standards, language targets, departmental philosophy and ISP mission
- Facilitate a balanced array of learning experiences which meet the students’ needs in developing their skills and conceptual understanding;
- Establish a positive student-centred learning environment which maximizes learning opportunities for all learners;
- Provide engaging, relevant and authentic language learning experiences;
- Effectively assess & document students’ learning growth according to ISP Modern Language Standards and the CEFR linguistic proficiency criteria;
- Contribute productively to the Middle School Modern Language Team and the K-12 Modern Language Team
- Support the holistic development of students as an advisor and as a supervisor of student clubs and activities.
- Actively participate in and lead professional development opportunities and collaborative meetings.
- Be an active partner in building and sustaining trusting & constructive relationships with other colleagues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, skills & dispositions required:
- An avid learner and seeker of how to maximize students’ Spanish language skills & interests.
- Successful planning and teaching Middle School children using student curiosity as a driver.
- Self-driven, proactive attitude, always trying to go to the next level professionally and leading from any seat.
- Ability to effectively communicate with students, parents and colleagues in a clear and empathetic manner.
- A high level of intra & interpersonal intelligence, working effectively in a collaborative environment.
- A growth mindset and open-minded approach to professional learning.
- International / multicultural teaching experience.
- Mother tongue-like fluency in Spanish and fluent in English.
- Impactful educator with innovative and solutions focused can-do flexible attitude.
- The ability to teach Upper School Spanish courses is an advantage.
Education & experience required:
- BA (MA preferred) Spanish teaching certification
- A minimum of three years of experience in teaching Spanish in Middle School.
ISP uses an online, automated application management system and we do expect all job applications to be submitted through this system accordingly. If you are interested in this vacancy and you meet the specified criteria, please go to this link and follow the instructions accordingly.
The deadline for applications is 10 December, 2020. Candidates should note, however, that the School has already started the recruitment process and therefore in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, ISP reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline. For this reason, it is essential that interested candidates apply as soon as possible. The successful candidate is expected to join ISP in August 2021.
As part of our comprehensive child welfare policy, ISP performs background checks on all its employees, who must abide by the ISP Child Protection Policy.