Overall purpose of the position:
- To provide access to a comprehensive and sequential program of study in music (PK through Grade 5) which develops students’ instrumental, vocal and ensemble skills, as well as their capacity to compose and improvise musically;
- To further learners’ capacity to perform, create and appreciate music in an inquiry-based environment.
- To unite the school community through music events, celebrations and performances.
ISP Definition of Learning: What does it mean to learn at ISP? Learning is a transformative process that builds on what we know and can do, deepens what we understand, and changes who we are.
ISP Learning Principles - learning best happens when:
- Learners’ curiosity drives what and how they learn.
- Learners know what they’re learning and why it is significant.
- Learners know where they are as learners and how to go further.
- Learners persist with relevant and rich challenges.
- Learners consider and connect complex ideas.
- Learners apply their learning in diverse and challenging contexts.
- Learners feel a sense of safety and belonging.
- Teach general music classes for Early Childhood and Grades 1-5 students
- Lead and manage bi-weekly Elementary School gatherings and performances outside of class time
- Design and deliver music performances
- Offer balanced and engaging learning experiences, which further learners’ capacity to perform, create and appreciate music
- Establish a positive student-centred learning environment with engaging and authentic learning experiences;
- Collaborate with other ISP music teachers and elementary fine arts teachers in planning and presenting student performances, including dance, drumming, chorus, and musical theatre.
- Differentiate for a range of children’s musical strengths and interests.
- Actively collaborate with PK-12 music teachers, elementary teachers, specialist teachers, support staff, and administrators as needed.
- Contribute to the school community through offering after school activities.
- Actively participate in and lead professional development opportunities and collaborative meetings.
- Be an active partner in building and sustaining trusting & constructive relationships with other colleagues.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, skills & dispositions required:
Personal Skills and Abilities:
- A model of musicianship through own musical skills and performances
- A strong, unwavering drive to innovate and enhance our musical program
- A growth mindset and open-minded approach to professional learning.
- Capacity to communicate with students, parents and colleagues in a clear and empathetic manner.
- An avid learner and seeker of how to support children's musical strengths and interests
- Impactful educator with an innovative and solutions focused can-do, flexible attitude
- A high level of intra and interpersonal intelligence and the ability to work effectively in collaborative environments
A strong understanding and experience with:
- Vocal and instrumental musical development in children.
- A broad range of musical genres and traditions.
- Given ISP’s Kodaly inspired curriculum and general way of learning in music, experience with Kodaly pedagogy is strongly preferred.
- Commitment to, and enthusiasm for, working with elementary school-aged children.
- Teaching and learning Music with an inquiry stance.
- Giving feedback that supports learners’ knowing where they’re at and how to move forward.
- International teaching and learning
Education & experience required:
- A BA (MA preferred), in music and / or music education.
- A minimum of three years experience teaching general music.
ISP uses an online, automated application management system and we do expect all job applications to be submitted through this system.
If you are interested in this vacancy and you meet the specified criteria, please go to this link and follow the instructions accordingly.
The deadline for applications is 10 December, 2020. Candidates should note, however, that the School has already started the recruitment process and therefore in the event an outstanding applicant is identified early in the search process, ISP reserves the right to make an appointment before the deadline. For this reason, it is essential that interested candidates apply as soon as possible. The successful candidate is expected to join ISP in August 2021.
As part of our comprehensive child welfare policy, ISP performs background checks on all its employees, who must abide by the ISP Child Protection Policy.