The International School of Prague was founded in 1948. At the time, it was known as the English Speaking School of Prague) and was located in the US Embassy.
The school remained in the embassy until 1979, when it moved to a new location known as the "Little Hillside Campus." At the time, the school had 80 students in Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade.
By 1991, with an increasing number of students and grade levels, the School occupied three different locations. From 1992 to 1994, the 9th through 12th grades were added, and the first ISP seniors graduated in 1995. Finally, in 1996, all classes were brought together on the current (custom-built) campus.
In 1998 the school celebrated its 50th anniversary, enrolling 588 students. Ten years later, in celebration of its 60th anniversary, ISP underwent a 6.5 million euro renovation.
Prague is located in the region of Bohemia in the Czech Republic. Widely regarded as one of the world’s most beautiful and vibrant cities, Prague has been the political, cultural, and economic center of the Czech state for more than 1100 years.
Prague was once the capital of the Holy Roman Empire. Today, this city on the River Vltava is the home to nearly two million inhabitants and a popular destination for more than a million visitors each year.
The city is famous for its classical music and literary life, its groundbreaking cinema and visual arts, and (more recently) a center for world-class jazz and rock. After the Velvet Revolution in 1989, Prague became the destination of choice for artists, consultants, journalists, and entrepreneurs from around the world.
This “city of 100 spires” with its medieval center, ancient courtyards, dark passages, countless churches, and glorious parks has been home to the International School of Prague for more than six decades. Founded in 1948 to offer an education, in English, to children of the diplomatic community, ISP has evolved into a thriving institution for students from more than 60 countries.
The following is a timeline of major events in ISP and Prague's history since 1948.